Pages

Reshun chitral

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

LANGUAGE OF CHITRAL

Language of chitral.

Khowar is the language of the chitral, spoken everywhere in Chitral, which is in the far Northwest corner of Pakistan; a beautiful valley in the Hindukush range of Mountains. Khowar is classified as an Indo-European language of the Dardic Group. It is spoken as the primary language by 250,000 people in Chitral. There are also pockets of speakers in Gilgit. It is clear that the current Chitralis have lived in their mountain home for 3,000 to 4,000 years.The people of Chitral are called Kho. Traditionally they are peaceful and law abiding citizens.
Khowar has 42 phonemes. Several of these are not found in any other language of the region. The letters /t/, /th/, /d/, /l/, /sh/, /ch/, /chh/, and /j/ all have two different forms, one retroflexed and the other dential-veolar non-retroflexed. Every Chitrali who learned the language on his mother's knee can readily distinguish these forms, whereas others can never learn them, regardless of how long they have lived in Chitral.
Khowar does not have a written form in common use. Before 1947, written communications in Chitral were in Farsi, which explains the large number of Farsi loan words. Today, written communications are in Urdu. Several attempts have been made to introduce a Urdu or Roman based writing script into Khowar, but these have never gained widespread acceptance.......

4 comments:

  1. Hello Ma'am...!!
    Can You plz teach me Chitrali...???? I am Asher from Azad Kashmir...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Khowar language is so sweet , i got interest in chitrali after listening Irfan Ali Taj Songs , so nice .Thank You for this information

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi excuse me plz can u teach me chitrali ma cousins r chitrali n cuz of them I'm too interested in chitral n its language they don't live here ....they live there in chitral kindly plz help me I'll do anything for it n I know I can do it I'll thankful 2 u for this .

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to learn chitrali language..plz help

    ReplyDelete